There is a guy that works in our shared office space at I Quit Sugar HQ who has a giant bottle of apple cider vinegar (ACV) on his desk. Let’s call him Fred (privacy and all that). Fred drinks several glasses of water throughout the day and each time adds a generous splash of apple cider vinegar.
Sarah has commented on her favourite uses for apple cider vinegar over on her blog and after our morning tea with Patricia Bragg, the IQS team is well aware of the many benefits of the stuff, but there was something particularly intriguing about Fred’s dedication to this vinegary tonic; so we sat Fred down and quizzed him for some answers.
The spotlight on Fred
Fred was told to drink ACV after suffering from years of back pain. Within a few weeks his back pain had gone. He’d also suffered from Candida for as long as he could remember and once he started drinking ACV it disappeared. He now drinks it as an everyday health elixir.
Fred had two pretty great reasons for chugging back the stuff. Here are a few more…
10 reasons to use apple cider vinegar
- It helps the body maintain a healthy pH level. You would think it would be acidic but in fact it helps bring your body into a more alkaline state.
- The alkaline effect of ACV also helps detoxify the liver, which makes it a great tonic when detoxing.
- It can help you lose weight. ACV works by correcting acid issues. It acts as a buffer in the body – the acetic acid reacts with base or acid compounds to form an acetate, therefore rendering them chemically bioavailable for the body’s utilization. A 2009 study in Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry found consuming acetic acid for 12 weeks led to significant declines in body weight, abdominal fat, waist circumference and triglycerides.
- It’s great for your lymphatic system. It helps break down mucus throughout the body and cleanse the lymph nodes. This also means it’s great when fighting a blocked nose or sinus infection.
- It helps improve gut flora and aids digestion. It is also said to clear up chronic acid reflux when taken with each meal.
- ACV is full enzymes that can help rid your body of Candida due to the malic acid and acetic acid (mentioned above).
- It makes a wonderful tonic for bad breath (halitosis). Dilute in warm water and gargle it morning and night.
- It boosts your immune system due to its antibacterial properties.
- It is great for your skin. Apply it topically for immediate benefits: dilute ACV with water and using a cotton pad apply as a toner or dab directly onto blemishes to dry them out.
- Thickens your hair and makes it shine: Fill an old shampoo bottle with 1/2 a tablespoon of ACV and a cup of cold water. Pour the solution through your hair after shampooing several times a week.
Still got questions about apple cider vinegar? Just drop us a note in the comments below, and we’ll do our best to answer. What else do you use it for?