Whether you’re a hardcore wellness warrior who swears by your daily drop of apple cider vinegar, or a newbie to the ACV trend looking for a simple (and cheap!) way to add an extra dose of health to your daily routine – apple cider vinegar is one pantry staple we swear by.
While we love to drizzle it on our salads, veggies and soups regularly, it boasts more benefits than just its flavour. Here are 10 other reasons you might want to chug back the stuff…
- It helps the body maintain a healthy pH level. You would think ACV would be acidic but in fact, it helps bring your body into a more alkaline state.
- The alkaline effect of ACV also helps detoxify the liver, which makes it a great tonic when detoxing.
- It can help you lose weight. ACV works by correcting acid issues. It acts as a buffer in the body – the acetic acid reacts with base or acid compounds to form an acetate, therefore rendering them chemically bioavailable for the body’s utilization. A 2009 study in Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry found consuming acetic acid for 12 weeks led to significant declines in body weight, abdominal fat, waist circumference and triglycerides.
- It’s great for your lymphatic system. It helps break down mucus throughout the body and cleanse the lymph nodes. This also means it’s great when fighting a blocked nose or sinus infection. Win, win!
- It improves gut flora and aids digestion. It’s also said to help clear up chronic acid reflux when taken with each meal.
- ACV is full enzymes that can help rid your body of Candida due to the malic acid and acetic acid (mentioned above).
- It makes a wonderful tonic for bad breath (halitosis). Dilute in warm water and gargle it morning and night.
- It boosts your immune system due to its antibacterial properties.
- It is great for your skin. Apply it topically for immediate benefits: dilute ACV with water and using a cotton pad apply as a toner or dab directly onto blemishes to dry them out.
- Thickens your hair and makes it shine: Fill an old shampoo bottle with 1/2 a tablespoon of ACV and a cup of cold water. Pour the solution through your hair after shampooing several times a week.
We originally published this post in November 2013. We updated it in July 2017.
What’s your favourite way to use apple cider vinegar?