To #JERF is to ‘just eat real food’.
A lot of people still seem to be confused as to exactly what constitutes as JERFing. We thought we’d clear up a few things (and include some recipes to prove the point!).
1. KISS (keep it simple, stupid).
- Choose food with the least number of ingredients. Simplify and focus on quality not quantity.
2. Avoid store-bought sauces.
- Avoid the normally sugar-laden sauces and make your own!
3. Shop at local farmers markets.
- Always, always try and eat local whenever possible.
- And eat fruit and veg that’s in season (and cheap!).
4. Eat what you can see and name.
- Keep it simple when you’re dining out – don’t order foods you can’t identify!
- Same goes for things on the back of food labels.
- That goes for avoiding anything with numbers in the ingredients list, too.
5. Eat real superfoods.
- Eat superfoods like chia seeds, spinach, kale and berries (just to name a few!).
6. Eat like it’s 1934.
- We so wish there was a song for this.
- Go back to the way your grandparents used to eat. Meat and three veg, real butter, the whole egg and chicken skin.
7. Domesticate yourself.
- Cooking is without a doubt the absolute best way to #JERF.
- It means you know what’s going into your food and it’s a skill you will keep for a lifetime. Like riding a bike, only… food.
- Learning how to cook is one of the best skills people have found they’ve gained while on our I Quit Sugar: 8-Week Program.
8. Grow your own.
- Regrow your veggies from scraps.
- Start a veggie garden or have a few pots of herbs growing on your windowsill.
9. Stick to the edges.
- And by that we mean stick to the edges of the grocery stores and supermarkets.
- That’s generally where all of the fridges and fresh food is kept.
10. Eat everything.
- Why would you juice and remove the good fibre, nutrient-dense parts of your food?
- Don’t chuck out the trimmings on your meat or the daggy veggies either.
11. Bulk up.
- Buy all your veggies, grains and nuts in bulk when they’re in season. Then freeze them into portions and you’ll never have an excuse to not JERF again!
- Check out our favourite freezer hack meals to make in a snap.
- Or the things we bet you didn’t you know you could freeze.
- And our bluffer’s guide on how long to freeze your food for.
12. Don’t feed the bin.
- Did you know that consumers toss out up to 50 per cent of their groceries each week?
- Utilise every bit of vegetable and fruit you have left.
- Use carrot nubs in soups.
- Turn broccoli stalks in pesto.
- Slow cook your kale stems.
Are you ready to transform your life and quit sugar for good?
Join us on our next 8-Week Program, starting February 2!