With summer well and truly upon us, you’re likely dusting off your favourite picnic blanket and getting ready to make the most of the hot weather and upcoming festivities with a classic picnic. But we’ve got a few exciting ways for you to spruce up your usual routine – give these 4 fun ideas try.
Take the picnic indoors
Considering the unpredictable weather that’s become the norm for many of us, it can be hard to know whether it will be raining, stormy or sunny from one day to the next – so if you’ve got picnics on your mind this summer, why not move the fun indoors? This eliminates the need to find and travel to a park or nature reserve, along with slashing your chances of sharing your picnic blanket with ants and spiders. One of the more difficult aspects of a picnic is keeping the food fresh – when you’re picnicking indoors, you can simply take your dishes out of the fridge when you’re ready. This means no more browned fruit or soggy sandwiches – or worse yet, off cheese! You can even get more creative with your meals considering you’ll have more time to cook without having to travel, along with the convenience of a kitchen to store and keep food hot. Here are a few ways to ensure you and your guests have a fun indoor picnic:
- Create a cosy atmosphere in your home – from candles to fairy lights, there are a number of ways you can add an element of warmth and festivity to your picnic.
- Set up a rug or blanket in your chosen spot – you also have the luxury of a table at home, so you may just want to pull up a chair at your usual spot, but for a little more picnic-style fun, it can be more enjoyable to gather ‘round on the floor.
- Get creative with the food – if you’re the host, you now have the added benefit of time; you can bake delicious muffins and cakes, cook up lasagne or veggie pies and slice up fresh fruit knowing it won’t go off in the summer heat.
- Pick a theme – you can take your indoor picnic to the next level with a fun theme; for instance, you might encourage everyone to dress up in rainbow colours or set up decorations based on a favourite movie or series.
BBQ or backyard picnic
Not a fan of cold sandwiches and stale fruit? For a change of pace, consider getting the barbie going and enjoying a more laid-back picnic in your own backyard. You can set up a table or lay out a blanket, and you might even want to set up a projector outside and watch a movie with loved ones. If you’re planning on having your barbecue picnic at the park, here’s how to make sure it’s a success:
- Arrive and get set up early – you don’t want to be clamouring for a free grill and table on a busy weekend where families and friends are gathering together with the same idea in mind. If you arrive early, you’ll have the chance to spot a grill and get your food set up.
- Don’t forget to bring utensils for the BBQ – you’ll want some tongs and a grill brush, plus it’s worth bringing a few plates to save yourself a mess.
- Bring a tablecloth – it’s all about that picnic aesthetic!
Noticed the new trend that’s taken TikTok by storm? This is one you’ll want to get behind. Colour-themed picnics are one of the biggest trends in 2022 – and for good reason. Who doesn’t love a splash of colour to add an element of fun? Coordinating your picnic blanket, food and even clothing to a colour can be an exciting spin on your usual picnic affair – you might even consider a rainbow theme! For the food, prioritising fruits and veggies is a great way to bring your colour of choice to the party, while also getting a hit of nutrition too. For instance, if your theme is green, consider bringing grapes, kale chips and green apples to the picnic.
Looking to keep your picnic simple yet aesthetically pleasing? Food boards are your saviour. Here are a few ideas to get your inspiration flowing:
- Charcuterie board: These fancy boards are an enduring favourite, and it’s likely to do with their simplicity and convenience. Simply cut up your choice of cheese – or multiple cheeses! – and add any other snacks you enjoy like nuts, fruit, veggies and dips like hummus or guacamole.
- You’ve heard of a cheese board, but have you tried a butter board? This fun trend is all the rage on TikTok, and it’s not a bad idea! But you might want to enjoy this board at an indoor picnic, as the summer sun is sure to leave the butter in a pool of liquid mess before you even get to try it. What you need is, of course, butter – you can spread it on the board in neat slices or pipe it on for a fancier aesthetic, and you’ll want to add some bread slices and perhaps some fruit, nuts and other snacks of choice to add some flair to your butter board.
- Charcuterie-themed Christmas trees: Making these festive trees is a fun bonding activity to enjoy with the kids – and it has the added bonus of being edible! Simply roll a piece of cardboard into a triangular tree shape and use mini skewers to pin food into it. Cheese, fruit and any other charcuterie favourites all work well here!
If you’ve been having a little trouble keeping that sugar addiction at bay, we’re here to help. We know it can be hard to stick to your health goals – especially when you’re trying to manage it alone. Join us for the 8-Week Program where we’ll be quitting sugar and turning our health dreams into a reality. When you sign up with us, you’ll have access to clear-cut meal plans, community support and exclusive access to our sugar-free content. Here’s what’s on offer:
- 8 weeks of meal plans and shopping lists.
- 90+ member-only recipes.
- Community forums to share your journey.
- Support and guidance from the I Quit Sugar team.
- Exclusive content from our panel of experts.
So, if you’re ready to ditch sugar and the host of maladies that come with it, it’s not too late to join. We’d love to help you get started on your health journey. Sign up HERE today!