Struggling to make a wholesome brekkie for yourself and your family on those hectic school mornings? We’re here to help – we’ve got your Monday to Friday covered with these cheap, tasty and fun brekkie ideas to get you through.
Eating cheap and healthy can seem impossible, with grocery prices through the roof – noticed that $10 head of cabbage recently? And those berries that have been sitting at $9 a pack for months now? – it's more than apparent that we've got inflation at its highest in 20 years. So, you’re certainly not alone if you’re feeling the squeeze. Here’s a sample brekkie budget breakdown to show you how you can feed your family for less than $16.
Note: These calculations are based on a family of 4 – feel free to adjust the ratios to meet your family’s needs.
Sweet Potato and Five Spice Muffins
These fragrant, fluffy muffins are loaded with slow-release carbs, vitamins and minerals, along with healthy fats to help you and the kids power through those long days. For the full recipe, take a look HERE.
This recipe makes 12 serves, making it an ideal make-ahead brekkie that will save you extra cash – and it doesn’t hurt that it tastes delicious! This will be a firm favourite for the kids and adults alike.
Meal plan designation: Monday to Wednesday
Ingredient budget breakdown:
- 1 large sweet potato: A 1.2kg pack of sweet potatoes (imperfect picks) is $2.49 , so 1 sweet potato (approx. 600g) is just under $1.25
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil: A 1-litre bottle costs $10.00, so ½ a cup will come to around $2.50
- ½ cup almond milk: 1 litre of almond milk is $2.00, so a ½ cup is worth approx. $0.25
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup: A 500-gram container is $3.80, so 2 tablespoons cost around $0.21
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract: A 50-millilitre container is $7.40, so a teaspoon costs approx. $0.62 183 203 206
- 2 cups gluten free flour: A 500-gram pack is $5.00, so 2 cups cost around $3.00
- 2 teaspoons baking powder: A 125g container is approx. $3.00, so 1 teaspoon is approx. $0.20
- 2 teaspoons baking soda: A 1kg pack is $3.95, so 2 teaspoons cost $0.03
- 1 ½ tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder: A 30-gram pack is $2.80, so 1 ½ tablespoons (approx. 21 grams) comes to just under $2.00
Total price for a family of 4: $10.06
Price per serve: $0.83 – you won’t even find prices this low at a fast-food shop!
5-Ingredient Muffin Tin Pancakes
For those mornings when the little ones are after a sweet fix, this recipe will do the trick. Plus, you can feel good about the slow-release energy, healthy fats and protein you’ll find loaded in these nutritious, fluffy tin-pancakes. For the full recipe, take a look HERE.
This recipe yields 8 serves, so you can make your dollar go twice as far and enjoy this brekkie twice. Simply store the leftovers in an airtight container and whip them out the next morning for a quick, stress-free and tasty meal.
Meal plan designation: Thursday to Friday
Ingredient budget breakdown:
- 2 eggs: A dozen is $4.90, so 2 eggs are worth approx. $0.80
- 1/2 cup gluten-free plain flour: A 500-gram pack is $5.00, so a ½ cup comes to around $0.75
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice: 1 litre of oat milk is $5.00, so 1 cup is worth $1.25
- 1/3 cup butter: A 250-gram pack of organic butter is $5.50, so 1/3 of a cup is around $1.83
- Toppings of your choice – we’ve gone for 1/3 of a cup of ricotta: A 375-gram tub is $3.30, so 1/3 of a cup is around $0.73
Total price for a family of 4: $5.36
Price per serve: $0.67
Total cost of all brekkies: $15.42
For under $16, you can enjoy nutritious, delicious brekkies loaded with essential vitamins and minerals – and none of those added nasties you’ll find in pre-made meals, fast-food takeout and highly-processed foods. Keen for more meal ideas and nutrition tips? We’re here to help. Join us for the 8-Week Program where we’ll be quitting sugar and turning our health dreams into a reality. When you sign up with us, you’ll have access to clear-cut meal plans, community support and exclusive access to our sugar-free content. Here’s what’s on offer:
- 8 weeks of meal plans and shopping lists.
- 90+ member-only recipes.
- Community forums to share your journey.
- Support and guidance from the I Quit Sugar team.
- Exclusive content from our panel of experts.
So, if you’re ready to ditch sugar and the host of maladies that come with it, it’s not too late to JOIN NOW!