Here at I Quit Sugar, we believe satisfying your sweet tooth doesn’t have to be a guilty pleasure – we’re here to take the guilt out and put the taste in. Take a look at these simple but impressive dessert recipes crafted to tantalise your taste buds without sending your blood sugars on a rollercoaster ride.
In a world where sugary temptations lurk around every corner, navigating the path to healthier eating can feel like a constant battle against the allure of sweet treats. Sugar addiction is a real challenge for many, often fuelled by the pervasive presence of highly processed and sugary snacks. But what if we told you that satisfying your sweet tooth doesn't have to involve succumbing to the pitfalls of refined sugars and empty calories? This blog is your guide to breaking free from sugar addiction, exploring the journey of replacing junk food with delectable and nourishing alternatives. Let's embark on a flavourful adventure where wholesome ingredients and mindful choices redefine the way we indulge in sweetness.
For those grappling with sugar addiction, the journey to health-conscious eating often begins with acknowledging the stronghold that refined sugars can have on our taste buds and cravings. The sugar-laden landscape of processed foods and desserts can create a cycle of highs and crashes, leaving us yearning for more. Breaking free from this cycle involves not just eliminating sugar but reimagining our approach to sweetness altogether. It's about discovering the wealth of natural, nutrient-dense alternatives that not only satisfy our sweet cravings but also nourish our bodies. From guilt-free desserts that pack a nutritional punch to inventive recipes that redefine the concept of sweet indulgence, we're diving into a world where dates, nuts, and wholesome grains take centre stage. Join us as we show you that it is possible to swap out refined sugars for nutrient-rich alternatives for a satisfying sweetness that aligns with your health goals.
Sea Salt + Cardamom Ganache Tart
This delicious dessert combines creamy coconut with fragrant cardamom to create a visually-appealing, tastebud-satisfying tart. Find the full recipe HERE.
- 270 ml can coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons cardamom pods, lightly crushed with a flat blade until the outer husks crack
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 g dark (85–90% cocoa) chocolate, chopped
- Pinch of sea salt, plus coarse sea salt, to garnish
- Berries, edible petals and buckwheat groats, to garnish (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup coconut oil
- 1⁄4 cup rice malt syrup
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- To make the crust, melt the coconut oil and rice malt syrup in a saucepan. Remove from the heat, add the shredded coconut and cacao powder and mix well. Press the mixture into the base and up the side of a quiche or tart tin – no need to grease it – so that the mixture’s approximately 5 mm thick all over. Bake the crust for 15–20 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool and firm up.
- Meanwhile, heat the coconut cream, cardamom pods and vanilla in a saucepan to a simmer, then turn off the heat and cover with a lid. Allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the coconut cream mixture into a bowl, reserving 1⁄4 cup in the pan for emergency use later, if needed. Discard the cardamom pods (or save to spice up chai tea). Add the chocolate and salt to the bowl, whisking it through until silky and melted. If the fats separate and your ganache develops a chocolatey cottage-cheese appearance, just add the reserved coconut cream, whisking swiftly to bring it all back together.
- Once silky, pour into the tart shell and refrigerate until the ganache sets (at least 2 hours). Garnish with a pinch of coarse sea salt and berries, petals and activated groaties, if desired.
Mint Slice Mousse
This IQS take on a classic Aussie biscuit has everything you need to impress your family and friends – or just yourself after a long day! Find the full recipe HERE.
- 1x400ml can coconut cream
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- Cacao nibs optional
- 1/3 Cup very finely chopped mint or 1 teaspoon peppermint essence
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Whisk ingredients together until well combined and smooth. Pour into 4-6 serving glasses. Sprinkle with cacao nibs if desired.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours, or until firm.
Almond Flour Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 175°C and line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and a pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, melted coconut oil, almond milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, poppy seeds, and rice malt syrup.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before serving. These lemony delights are a zesty, low-carb treat!
- Indulging in sweet treats doesn't have to derail your blood sugar levels. With these delightful and wholesome dessert recipes, you can savoury the flavours of your favourite treats while keeping your health in mind. Enjoy guilt-free indulgence, one delicious bite at a time!
Satisfying your sweet tooth isn't just about quelling cravings; it's an art of nourishment. We'll delve into the science of sugar addiction, exploring how the brain responds to various sweeteners and how mindful choices can create a sustainable approach to dessert.
Need a little help getting your health back on track? Join us for the 8-Week Program and we’ll help you change the way you look at food – and that doesn’t mean you have to follow restrictive diets or miss out on your favourite foods; we believe you can still enjoy delicious food without jeopardising your health. With celebrity chef Sarah Glover on our panel of experts, you’ll have an array of fun recipes at your fingertips, along with our own exclusive armoury of simple, tasty and healthy recipes for everything from daily meals to impressive entertaining. We know it can be hard to stick to your health goals – especially when you’re trying to manage it alone. When you sign up with us, you’ll have access to clear-cut meal plans, community support and exclusive access to our sugar-free content. Here’s what’s on offer:
- 8 weeks of meal plans and shopping lists.
- 90+ member-only recipes.
- Community forums to share your journey.
- Support and guidance from the I Quit Sugar team.
- Exclusive content from our panel of experts.
So, if you’re ready to ditch sugar and the host of maladies that come with it, it’s not too late to join. We’d love to help you get started on your health journey. Sign up HERE today!