So, you caved into temptation and downed a bag of the kids’ Halloween chocolate haul – fear not! You can easily hop back on the wagon, but managing those blood-sugar changes will be integral in winning the battle against sugar addiction. We’re here to help.
Halloween is all about treats, but the sugar rush that follows can leave you feeling like a deflated balloon – or inflated if we’re talking bloating! Those sugar crashes can be brutal, with mood swings, fatigue, and brain fog taking centre stage – all pushing you to consume more sugar. The good news is, there are ways to curb those cravings and keep your energy levels steady. Here are a few strategies to help you bounce back after indulging in Halloween sweets, plus a free recipe!
Opt for Balanced Snacks
Instead of reaching for more sugary treats when the crash hits – or trying not to snack at all – choose balanced snacks that include protein, fibre, and healthy fats. Nut butter with apple slices, Greek yogurt with berries, or whole-grain crackers with hummus are great options. These foods help stabilise blood sugar levels and provide a sustained energy boost, while keeping you fuller for longer. Protein-rich meals can help mitigate the sugar spikes and crashes. Include lean sources of protein like tofu, or beans in your post-Halloween meals to balance your blood sugar levels. Protein and fibre both stabilise energy and reduce the roller-coaster effect of sugar consumption. Try the following combinations:
- Egg and avocado
- Omelette with cottage cheese and asparagus
- Lentil curry
There’s no reason to deprive yourself of food – it will only make it harder to get back on track and prevent your body from getting the nourishment it needs. Nutritious food is the key element in fighting cravings and boosting your energy and mood – there’s a reason they call it the gut-brain connection!
Dehydration can amplify the effects of a sugar crash. Make sure to drink plenty of water to help flush out excess sugar from your system. Herbal teas, such as peppermint or ginger, are also soothing and can aid in digestion.
Move Your Body
Physical activity can help counter the sluggishness that often accompanies sugar crashes. Even a short walk or some gentle stretching can boost your circulation, improve mood, and increase energy. So, get up and move to shake off the post-sugar blues.
Try this circulation-boosting exercise – this isn’t just good for combatting a blood-sugar crash, it’s a great everyday exercise to boost your health:
Step 1: Find a Comfortable Seated Position
- Sit on a yoga mat or a comfortable surface with your legs extended in front of you.
- Sit up straight, lengthening your spine, and relax your shoulders.
Step 2: Begin with Deep Breathing
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths. Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Focus on each breath as you inhale and exhale slowly and deeply.
- Deep breathing helps to relax your body and mind, promoting better circulation.
Step 3: Ankle Pumps
- While continuing to sit up straight and maintain deep breathing, begin to move your feet.
- Lift your right foot off the ground slightly and flex your toes upward, pointing them toward your face. Hold for a few seconds.
- Now, point your toes away from you, stretching your ankle and calf. Hold for a few seconds.
- Perform this flex-and-point motion with your right foot for about 30 seconds.
- Repeat the same motion with your left foot for 30 seconds.
Step 4: Knee Hugs
- Still in a seated position, bring your right knee toward your chest and hug it with both arms. Hold this position for about 15 seconds.
- Release your right leg and then bring your left knee toward your chest and hug it with both arms for 15 seconds.
- This gentle movement helps improve circulation by engaging the muscles and increasing blood flow.
Step 5: Neck Rolls
- Gently roll your head in a circular motion, starting by bringing your chin down to your chest and then rolling your head to the right, tilting your right ear toward your right shoulder.
- Continue the circular motion, moving your head back, left, and forward, completing a full circle.
- Reverse the direction and perform the same motion in the opposite direction for about 30 seconds.
- Neck rolls help to release tension and enhance blood circulation to the neck and head.
Step 6: Spinal Twists
- Sit up straight and place your right hand on your left knee.
- Inhale as you lengthen your spine, and then exhale as you gently twist your torso to the left, looking over your left shoulder.
- Hold this position for a few breaths, feeling the stretch along your spine.
- Release the twist and repeat on the other side.
- Spinal twists can help promote circulation along the spine and abdominal region.
Step 7: Relaxation
- Finish the exercise with a few more deep breaths.
- Sit quietly for a moment, enjoying the sense of relaxation and improved circulation.
Remember, it's not about depriving yourself of Halloween fun, but rather finding a way to enjoy the treats without feeling the aftermath of a sugar crash. By making mindful choices and supporting your body with nutritious foods and hydration, you can have a sweeter and more balanced Halloween season.
Need a little inspiration? Try this delicious protein-rich brekkie to get your day-after-Halloween off to a good start.
Protein-Packed Breakfast Bowl
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup mixed fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter or peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Start by spooning Greek yogurt into a bowl. Greek yogurt is an excellent source of protein and will help stabilise your blood sugar levels.
- Sprinkle the almonds and walnuts over the yogurt.
- Add a mix of fresh berries to the bowl. Berries provide natural sweetness and antioxidants while adding a burst of flavour.
- Drizzle almond butter or peanut butter for extra protein and healthy fats. These nut butters add a creamy texture and delicious flavour.
- Finally, sprinkle chia seeds and cinnamon on top. These tiny seeds are packed with fibre and protein, which will help you feel full and energised.
- Feel free to mix all the ingredients together or enjoy them layered for a visually appealing breakfast.
This protein-packed breakfast bowl is a perfect way to start your day on the right foot, helping you counteract sugar crashes and keeping your energy levels steady. Enjoy!
Need a little help getting your health back on track? Join us for the 8-Week Program and we’ll help you change the way you look at food – and that doesn’t mean you have to follow restrictive diets or miss out on your favourite foods; we believe you can still enjoy delicious food without jeopardising your health. With celebrity chef Sarah Glover on our panel of experts, you’ll have an array of fun recipes at your fingertips, along with our own exclusive armoury of simple, tasty and healthy recipes for everything from daily meals to impressive entertaining. We know it can be hard to stick to your health goals – especially when you’re trying to manage it alone. When you sign up with us, you’ll have access to clear-cut meal plans, community support and exclusive access to our sugar-free content. Here’s what’s on offer:
- 8 weeks of meal plans and shopping lists.
- 90+ member-only recipes.
- Community forums to share your journey.
- Support and guidance from the I Quit Sugar team.
- Exclusive content from our panel of experts.
So, if you’re ready to ditch sugar and the host of maladies that come with it, it’s not too late to join. We’d love to help you get started on your health journey. Sign up HERE today!