The last thing you want to think about when you’re racing out the door to get to work is what to pack for lunch. That’s why we’re here to share a few cheap, simple snack ideas to help you power through the day, minus the dreaded 3 o’clock slump – and all for under $10!
On a typical Monday morning, you might grab some 2-minute noodles or a bag of chips before you leave for the day, or you might even decide to wing it with the office vending machine or the nearest takeaway shop. Unfortunately, these foods are low-energy, blood sugar-spiking menaces that not only drain your health, but your wallet too. That’s because these single-serve foods tend to be higher in cost per serve as opposed to homemade meals – that’s where we come in. On the 8-Week Program, we have a plethora of expertly-crafted meal plans and recipes to provide your daily nutrients, without costing an arm and a leg.
Let’s get into a few tasty snack ideas, along with a price breakdown that will fit any budget – we’ll show you a few simple tips and tricks that will ensure you don’t have to compromise on taste and flavour to save money.
“Salted Caramel” Haloumi and Apple
Fruit and cheese – a match made in heaven! This combo of salty and sweet flavours is the perfect pick-me-up for a busy day at the office. Loaded with vitamin C, fibre and calcium, this tasty snack will fight your afternoon fatigue. Find the full recipe HERE.
Serves: 2 – You can enjoy this snack twice in the week, making your dollar go further!
Ingredient budget breakdown
- 6 slices haloumi (approx. 60 grams): A 180-gram pack costs around $4.80, so your 60-gram serve will only set you back $1.60
- 1 small green apple: 1 apple (imperfect picks) costs $0.72
Note: Shop around and do your research first to find the cheapest options around your local area – remember to check for the sale items!
Total price: $2.32
Price per serve: $1.16
2-Ingredient Banana Bread Cookies
It doesn’t get much simpler or cheaper than a 2-ingredient recipe – and you won’t believe how morish the results are. These cookies are the perfect office snack, just pop them into a container and they’ll stay fresh. Check out the recipe HERE.
Serves: 12 – You can prepare these ahead of time and enjoy them through the week or even through the next 2 weeks as you’ll get plenty of serves out of this recipe! You might even want to bring in some extra cookies to share with your colleagues – but beware, you might not have any left!
Ingredient budget breakdown:
- 2bananas: A loose banana costs $0.28 on sale, so 2 will cost $0.56
- 1 cuprolled oats: A 1-kilo pack of oats costs $5.00, so 1 cup will cost around $0.40
Total price: $0.96
Price per serve: $0.08
Healthy Chocolate Pancakes
Who said pancakes were just for brekkie? These chocolately, rich and fluffy pancakes will maintain their quality when sealed in an airtight container, making them the perfect office snack. Plus, sometimes the stress of the day needs a little bit of chocolate – minus the sugar crash, of course! Check out the full recipe HERE.
Serves: 4 – You can prepare these on Sunday night or Monday morning and enjoy them at work throughout the week.
Ingredient budget breakdown:
- 2 eggs: A dozen is $4.90, so 2 eggs are worth approx. $0.80
- 1 cup milk of your choice (full-fat, almond, oat, rice) 1 litre of oat milk is $5.00, so 1 cup is worth $1.25
- 3/4 cups buckwheat flour: A 500g pack is $5.00, so 1 cup is worth approx. $0.90
- 1 cup almond meal: A 400g pack is $6.50, so 1 cup is approx. $2.00
- 1/4 cup cacao powder: A 250-gram pack costs $5.50, so 1/4 cup will come to approx. $1.30
- 1 teaspoon rice malt syrup: A 500-gram container is $3.80, so a teaspoon costs around $0.04
- 1 teaspoon baking powder: A 125g container is approx. $3.00, so 1 teaspoon is approx. $0.10
- Coconut oil (approx. 1 tablespoon): A 300g container is $4.75, so a tablespoon is worth approx. $0.25
Total price: $6.64
Price per serve: $1.66
Note: Your choice of toppings may alter the cost, if you wish to keep the cost down, simply go topping-free. Plus, as an on-the-go snack, it's easier to store without wet ingredients.
Total cost of over a week’s worth of office snacks: $9.92
As you can see that’s well over a week’s snacks for less than $10 – and you don’t have to miss out on delicious food to make it happen. Keen for more health and nutrition tips? We’re here to help. Join us for the 8-Week Program where we’ll be quitting sugar and turning our health dreams into a reality. When you sign up with us, you’ll have access to clear-cut meal plans, community support and exclusive access to our sugar-free content. Here’s what’s on offer:
- 8 weeks of meal plans and shopping lists.
- 90+ member-only recipes.
- Community forums to share your journey.
- Support and guidance from the I Quit Sugar team.
- Exclusive content from our panel of experts.
So, if you’re ready to ditch sugar and the host of maladies that come with it, it’s not too late to JOIN NOW!