Asparagus and Spinach Quiche
- Tart base
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup gluten-free plain flour
- 50 g butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 150 g cheddar cheese
- 3 thyme sprigs
- sea salt, to season
- freshly ground black pepper, to season
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 and grease a 22cm pie tin with butter.
To make the crust, combine the almond meal and flour in a mixing bowl. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingers and then mix through whisked egg. Combine mixture until you form a dough. Press the mixture into the prepared pie tin, until it is even all around. Prick with a fork and place in the oven for 10 minutes until lightly golden.
Meanwhile, make the filling by sauteing the asparagus and red onion in a medium saucepan for 5 minutes. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together and add the baby spinach and half the cheese. Add in the red onion and season with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
Assemble the tart, by adding the egg mixture to the prepared tart base and sprinkling the rest of the cheese and thyme. Place the asparagus evenly around the tart lengthways.
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the filling is cooked through and the top is golden brown.