We’ve come up with the perfect vegan bow, combining protein-charged chickpeas, loads of veg and crunchy, healthy-fat-packed cashews! Top with chilli flakes for an extra kick – it’s totally delicious!
Extra time savings tip: This is the perfect dish to use up your leftover veg – finely chop your broccoli stalks and throw in those coriander stems!
Chilli Chicken Bow
1 tablespoon (15ml) coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced, plus extra for serving
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, finely diced
- 1/3 cup peanuts, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
1 carrot, grated
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup cooked or tinned chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) tamari
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) sesame oil
- 4 cups iceberg, cos or butter lettuce, torn into 4 bow cups
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes, or to taste
Heat coconut oil in a large skillet pan over a medium to high heat. Add brown onion, spring onions, chilli, peanuts, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook for 2–3 minutes. Add in the carrot and mushrooms and stir through, cooking for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms shrink. Add in the chickpeas and tamari and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Roughly smash some of the chickpeas with the back of a fork, then remove from the heat and drizzle with sesame oil.
Spoon mixture between lettuce cups and top with chilli flakes, to serve.