This flavour-packed dish is proof that you can get those intense spicy flavours without hours of marinating! Paired with a veggie-packed, totally refreshing curried slaw to balance those spices - it's perfect for a quick lunch at home or on the go.
Seasonal Swaps: Cabbage is more of an autumn/winter veg, so if you’re having trouble getting your hands on some, use kale or another leafy green of your choice instead.
Cajun Tempeh and Curried Tahini Slaw
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 300g tempeh, cut into long strips about 2cm wide
- Sesame seeds, white, to serve
Curried Tahini Slaw
1/4 head white cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup tahini, hulled or unhulled
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Add smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, thyme, oregano, tamari and salt to a medium bowl and combine well. Coat tempeh in olive oil and coat with spices until all sides are coated. Set aside.
- Prepare the Curried Tahini Slaw by combining cabbage, carrot and zucchini in a large bowl. In a separate small bowl, combine tahini, olive oil, vinegar, curry powder and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper. Stir evenly through the cabbage mix. If you’re cooking for one, add half to a bowl for dinner tonight and place remaining half in a container for lunch tomorrow.
- Next, heat a medium frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add marinated tempeh to the pan and cook for 3–4 minutes on each side, until spices are fragrant and tempeh has cooked through.
- Top Curried Tahini Slaw with the Blackened Cajun Tempeh and sprinkle with sesame seeds, to serve.